Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Paws & Claws ~ April, 2014 ~ Spawning Galaxies?


Spawning Galaxies?


Last week I had a big scare......

During my annual health tests, the doctors spotted something on my mammogram: a bunch of small bright spots in my right breast (Rose). I have gone through a few days of pure HELL, trying to reassure myself that this would turn out to be nothing, that this would be just another fibroid tumor (I am prone to those because I am a DES daughter. I have benign tumors in my ovaries & uterus, one in my right breast, and some in my thyroid gland).

I have been very lucky so far. A lot of people I know in my age group have had heart attacks, cancer, major surgery, and many other life-threatening problems. I have been very lucky: most of my minor problems resulted from being a DES daughter: reproductive problems, anemia, and hyperthyroidism: all treatable.

Tomorrow I will undergo further tests, and hopefully, get an answer.
Tonight I flip-flop between reasoned thought and fears & tears.

after....

All is well! 

The new receptionist is not familiar with the terminology yet ~
when the doctor requested further tests, he was already pretty sure that everything was fine ~ he just wanted to make sure .When he compared the new scans with the last ones, in addition to the fibroid tumor I am used to, he noticed small bright spots ~ oil cysts, which are normal and usual for someone my age.





When he showed me the scans, I went from fear & tears to AWE.






See the small bright dots? They are small cysts, formed over time from a cloud of matter ~ kind of like my own little galaxies....
who knows?
Maybe Horton had it right....

Maybe I am growing my own little universes....

One of my heroes, Neil deGrasse Tyson, gave a famous talk about how we are all made of star-stuff. As I looked at the scan, I felt like I was looking at a picture of a young galaxy: new life starting as bright dots, lots of open space, etc.

Lisa Randall, noted Harvard Theoretical Physicist, remarked that the only reason we have not seen into the atom further is the limitations of our eyes and our technology.

Maybe there are tiny universes inside atoms.


It fits right in with my personal (tongue-in-cheek) belief 
that our whole universe is merely an atom 
in some other being's table leg 
(kind of puts everything into perspective).
~~~


The Most Astounding Fact - Neil deGrasse Tyson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU
'The Universe is in us'
~~~

In the history of physics, every time we've looked beyond the scales and energies we were familiar with, we've found things that we wouldn't have thought were there.~ LISA RANDALL, Discover Magazine, July 2006

~~~

That is what I was going through ~ 
My family and friends helped me get through it ~
I've posted this on facebook, and got quite a good response from it. 
I might include it in the next 'Paws'
~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment